Replication Question

Calvin Calvin at absentdream.com
Sun Nov 9 00:41:34 GMT 2008

Hi...
First of all many thanks and good luck to all at samba..
I have been using samba 3 for many years in my home lan and am now testing
samba 4 (after reading "we need people to test it and tell us what dose
and dosen't work, and what they need it to do").

My question is about replication, I know we can use samba 4 with a ldap
backend like:
[server1 samba-ldap]<-->[ldap-samba server2]
or:
[server1 samba-ds]<-->[ds-samba server2]
rather than:
[server1 samba]<-->[samba server2]

Are you allways looking to use a ldap backend to do replication (if so i
will spend more time getting a solid ldap backend working) or is the plan
to make samba 4 do the replication with out ldap backend (and hopefully
simply it for sysadmin)

also dose samba 4 still use the PDC, BDC system rather than that of 2003AD
which is DC-DC, as this will effect how i plan the topolagy of my new lan
(my old one has now been running for 4y plus, time to upgade).

Many thanks..

calvin streeting

P.S another thing that would be helpfull is a list (roadmap) on the "samba
4" site stating what works, is under dev, and whats not implmented yet. so
i dont spend hours on google try to solve the not implemented, or reading
old docs squireled away by many sites stating the current state only to
find the document dates to 2005...

Many thanks

Calvin