Extending LDB for Extended DNs

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 5 11:33:38 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 08:13 +0100, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett schrieb:
> > Simo,
> >
> > Per our discussion on IRC last night, I wanted to clarify with you want
> > I would like to do to DN support in Samba4, and how I would like to
> > extend LDB to help with this.
> >
> > The problem of extended DNs is partially indicated by:
> >
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc200561.aspx
> >
> > Firstly, I would like to try and support sending 'extended dns' to
> > clients, as required by the extended DN control.
> >
> > To do this properly, we need to do better than extended_dn.c does at the
> > moment - it relies on the fact that if you stuff something into
> > ldb_dn_new(), then it will appear in the DN - the DN structure does not
> > contain the parsed DN.
> >
> > Secondly, I would like to accept the alternate DN forms
> >
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc200459.aspx
> >
> > My hope is that these should be parsed as 'normal' DNs as much as
> > possible - then canonicalised into a form we can actually look up (or
> > used directly if possible).

> > My plan is to extend the ldb DN parser's existing 'TODO' handling of
> > <SID= and <GUID= to be a general set of key-value pairs, much like the
> > DN components are.  Samba4 can then register a custom handler to parse
> > and print these attributes (with 'string as is' being the default).
> > This will be much like we handle all other 'samba special' types in
> > LDB.
>
> I think that's the correct way of doing it...

> I thing that will be a big step forward (but please remember that next
> thing is the handling of per attribute replication meta data for linked
> attributes:-)

Great.  I've been working on this hard for the past week or so.  See
http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog for the
current work in progress.

I'm currently working on the comprehensive testsuite for DN behaviours,
particularly with the extended DNs.

I would appreciate any comments or feedback,

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.