talloc/tdb symbols

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Nov 4 12:47:34 GMT 2008

Am Dienstag, den 04.11.2008, 08:49 +0100 schrieb Stefan (metze)
Metzmacher:
> Jelmer Vernooij schrieb:
> > I noticed we're currently autogenerating the symbol version scripts for
> > talloc and tdb. Is there a specific reason we're not using simple like:
> >
> > HIDDEN {
> > local:
> >     *;
> > };
> >
> > libtalloc0 {
> >     _talloc_*;
> >     talloc_*;
> > };
> >
> > This means we don't have to ship with a script for generating these
> > version scripts and can simply include the version scripts with talloc
> > and tdb.
> >
> > (All of this is to hopefully build the standalone and Samba 4 builds of
> > talloc and tdb with versioned symbol).
>
> we don't use symbol versioning, we just use the linker script to redruce
> the exported symbols.
Is there a specific reason we could not use these simple wildcards to
restrict the exported symbols rather than listing them all individually?
That would make it unnecessary to generate the linker script each time.

And, separately of that.. can we use symbol versioning where possible?

Cheers,

Jelmer
Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org