[RFC] libwclient: Implementing wbc_Getpwent and wbc_Getgrent

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Mon Nov 3 06:56:57 GMT 2008

On Monday 03 November 2008 01:02:29 simo wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 23:16 +0100, Kai Blin wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm currently looking at switching the winbind_nss_*.c files to use
> > libwbclient. However, to do so, I need to implement the getpwent and
> > getgrent calls in libwbclient. It seems like winbind will return up to
> > 500 passwd structs per WINBINDD_GETPWENT call. Do we want to make
> > libwbclient return all of those and let the caller deal with walking them
> > or do we want to only return one struct like getpwent does?
>
> Personally I think that libwbclient is a great interface between smbd
> and winbindd, but I think the nss libs should avoid sucking in
> libraries, remember they all end up into other process without them
> knowing. The more stuff we put into the nss libraries the more risk for
> library or just symbols conflicts there are.

What I'm trying to do is to make pam_winbind and nss_winbind use the same
interface to talk to winbind, so we can use the same code for Samba3 and
Samba4. Going via libwbclient seems like the most viable approach. But even
if we disagree on the question if the nss modules should use libwbclient, my
original question still stands. :)

Cheers,
Kai

--