[Samba] Samba 3.2, Samba 3.3 release planning

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Sat Nov 1 05:59:04 GMT 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Brad Hards <bradh at frogmouth.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 October 2008 09:24:34 am Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>> That has not bee decided yet.  The 3.0.x releases are in
>> maintenance mode (transitioned as soon as 3.2.0 was released).
>> The 3.0.x series will reach EOL on Jul 1, 2009.
> Hmm, 3.0.x is the last of the GPLv2+ releases, right?
>
> I wonder if all projects that currently depend on samba (especially the
> libsmbclient stuff) will be relicensed by mid-2009....
Do you have a list of projects that depend on libsmbclient?
For now, QT has been relicensed and KDE too allows GPLv3 linkage.
GNOME's use of libsmbclient is well-guarded as well, the only
incompatible application last time we've checked was bug-buddy but it
can't load libsmbclient-based plugin under any circumstances (its use
of gnome-vfs is controlled and limited). With gio/gvfs process
separation it all became easier.
VLC has selected to not update their smb plugin to GPLv3 yet. Any other apps?

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy