Google Summer of Code

hotte.schibullek at web.de hotte.schibullek at web.de
Sun Mar 30 10:23:32 GMT 2008

i think the ADS-compability of samba4 has already reached a point
where most useful things work (no more significant problems to join
win-machines to a domain or administrate samba4-DCs with dsa.msc).
at this stage of development it should be an general question if to re-invent
the wheel again with ldb or consequently move to a standard-ldap-DS and
focus the work an some missing features/extensions (e.g. memberof-overlay
in openldap) to implement the missing ADS-features.

> > Another similar project might be to implement windows 2008 'read only
> > DC' functionality in Samba4.  This might be 'safer' than the two-way
> > replication, but includes a lot of links that we would need to implement
> > to pass off all secrets handling (including RPCs for verifying NTP
> > packets, passwords etc).

One-way Replication -the normal (delta-)syncrepl-mode in Openldap-
has already everything needed für the 'super-new' w2k8-"feature"
(seems the redmonder guys have at last unterstood the x.500-principles
and advantages of a single rw-master)

another point is, that the DS on the linux/unix-side should be painless usable
and extendable for other opensource-standard-applications.

as howard mentioned before, it might be not the best way
to create a completely new DS application with unknown security
holes, only to follow all the steps of the redmonder guys.

samba4 serves now all xp clients, and xp clients will be the biggest
part of all win-networks for the next 4-5 years, maybe longer.
openldap or FDS can do nearly all of the replication work in a stable way
either one-way or multi-master.
so this should be the direction, not drsuapi