Google Summer of Code

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Mar 29 00:47:54 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 20:01 +0100, Timo Wingender wrote:

> I like to participate in Google Summer of Code this year. I am
> especially interested in development of samba4 with LDAP-backend.

This is a very interesting, but frustrating and painful area.  If you
are up for it, then it could be a great contribution, because I'm pretty
much burnt out from working on it for so long.

See my post on the LDAP backend above.

> But I
> have no overview over the current state of samba4. Reimplementing
> something from samba3 is also a possibility. Any recommendations for a
> small project which can be done in 3 month?

One interesting but difficult project would be to move the DRSUAPI
replication protocols from a one-way demo to a full, tested (ie include
multi-server testsuite) two-way replication with AD.  This would include
changes to LDB to cope with the increased requirements of DRSUAPI
replication (container objects are represented twice, linked attributes
need more metadata).

Another similar project might be to implement windows 2008 'read only
DC' functionality in Samba4.  This might be 'safer' than the two-way
replication, but includes a lot of links that we would need to implement
to pass off all secrets handling (including RPCs for verifying NTP
packets, passwords etc).

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.