Just disable SWAT for the Samba4 alpha3?

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Mar 26 15:30:58 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 21:27 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I'm wondering if Samba4 should just have SWAT disabled for this upcoming
> alpha?
>
> The 'python SWAT' hasn't materialised, and just as we cut it down
> before, due to lack of maintenance, I think it is time to disable it
> completely.
>
> Our efforts are (subject to someone else picking up a long-term role as
> web developer) better spent elsewhere, I think.
>
> Thoughts?

I'd kill the swat concept completely.
We are much better of providing an API to let people that understand
better than us how do build UIs to do basic configuration steps like.

Ideally it would provide high level functions like: "make this server a
Domain Controller" or "join this server to this domain as member|dc".

we have some of this in samba 3.2 libnet/libsmbconf it would be nice to
design a consistent interface for samba4

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Senior Software Engineer at Red Hat Inc. <ssorce at redhat.com>