Samba and Application Response Measurement (ARM 4.0)

David Collier-Brown davecb at sun.com
Sun Mar 23 22:27:16 GMT 2008

  You want to look at your OS's code for time measurement: at
least two free OSs implement something like gethrtime() as
a call which does an entry/ring-crossing, reads one hardware
register and returns.  Others do a full system call (:-()

My leaky memory says Linux is one of the fast ones, but
it's architecture dependant, too...

--dave
[On sparc it's a sequence of trap, shift left, or]

--
David Collier-Brown            | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto      | some people and astonish the rest