guest login with security = share with 3.2.0-pre2 + support for a smb client named Dave3.1 in MacOS 9

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Thu Mar 20 16:10:31 GMT 2008

Hi Yannick,

yaberger at ca.ibm.com wrote:
> Since it was the 3.2.0 bugzilla day yesterday, I've tried to build
> 3.2.0-stable on my AIX 5.3 TL7 box.

Thanks for testing and reporting!

> Problem 1
> So far, I've used a smb.conf that allow my users to have public access.
> This is one of the two build I'm using (the other one is a build with aix
> authentication and loginrestrictions)
> This configuration is working fine with 3.0.25. I've also made some change
> since some default values have changed between this pre-release and 3.0.25
>

> My problem is with the following commit:
> http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=9ed12bfc48fe7f9b1863a9dd88e881974083053c
>
> the last if block, ie if (!pass),  isn't allowing a guest connection with
> the following windows command and security = share
> net use * \\server.domain\sharename
>
> I've tried to comment the if block and it's now working as I expected.
>
> So I'm wondering what is the purpose to check if the password is null. If
> the problem is only related to security = share, should it be
>
> if (! pass && lp_security() != SEC_SHARE) {

This problem is spotted correctly. I have just pushed a patch
008c4bdbe5de064b4469fc1f7c7173290f35b3ef
to branch v3-2-test that fixes it.
(The check for SEC_SHARE is put in a different place, but
essentially, you were right.)

I am now evaluating problem 2.

Cheers - Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>  <obnox at samba.org>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9