Samba 4 Development and PostPath

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Mar 14 04:28:52 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 12:05 +0200, Nadezhda Ivanova wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> My name is Nadezhda Ivanova. I am a Software Engineer at PostPath Co.
> As you probably know, PostPath has developed a Mail and Collaboration
> server operating under Linux, compatible with MS Exchange and AD.
>
> I am currently heading a team that is testing the work of the server
> with Directory servers other than AD, and as such, Samba 4 is by far
> the very best open source AD compatible Directory Server.

> We are very impressed with what the Samba 4 team has accomplished by
> far, as well as the future plans for AD interoperability.  PostPath
> has dedicated our team for contributing to the Samba 4 Open Source
> project, particularly to the features related to AD compatibility. Our
> team currently consists of two developers and will be expanding.  We
> are interested in working on features such as Schema modification via
> LDAP, Replication, NSPI/RFR implementation, Global address book,
> Management tools (SWAT and provisioning), etc.
>
> We hope that our help can speed up the development and release of
> Samba 4.

Thanks!  I have been meaning to be in contact with PostPath, but never
quite got around to it, and had not imagined you would be interested in
Samba4.  I'm glad I was wrong, and I think we can do a lot together!

> We would like to know what is the status and your plans for the above
> features, and what we can do to contribute to their development.

Schema modification via LDAP should not be too hard - we just need to
maintain the metadata, so that it can be reloaded, and generate at
runtime (rather than in the minschema script) the links for superior and
inferior classes.

Replication is a good task to take on - we have much of the code, and
the NET-API-BECOME-DC test exercises it.  We need to re-wrap this up in
python, rather than just as a torture test.

NSPI I have not even looked at, and would be best worked out with
OpenChange.  They no doubt need it too.  The same would go for the
global address book.

In terms of management tools, the provision scripts have recently been
migrated to python, except for SWAT.  Jelmer is working on a 'bare
bones' SWAT, but this is an area where web developers able to produce a
simple (for samba hackers to later modify) but effective web interface
could do very well.

> I will be attending the Samba XP from Apr 16thto Apr 18th, and
> I am looking forward to meeting you all.

In the short term, is there anything you are having difficulty with, in
installing, testing and hacking on Samba4?  I would like to ensure our
time at SambaXP is as productive as possible.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.