Testing samba4

Matthieu PATOU mat at matws.net
Wed Mar 12 18:14:50 GMT 2008

Dear all,

A few days ago I decided to test Samba4, so I downloaded a recent snapshot (~2 weeks ago) with
rsync -avz samba.org::ftp/unpacked/samba_4_0_test samba4.

I followed the howto from and everything is mostly working.

My setup is simple: 1 server and a couple of windows XP pcs and a couple of users.
After configuring Group policy from the mmc I started to notice this message:

WARNING: probable memory leak in ldb /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb - 36744 blocks (startup 776) 1085698 bytes

And a couple of other about hklm.db

I haven't been successful at setting up my Samba4 installation as a domain browser, as a result I am unable to see the
samba server in the network neighbourhood, it still accessible if you enter the ip address or dns server name.
I try to play with this parameters :

         local master    = yes
         preferred master = yes
         wins support    = yes

But the server doesn't seems to participate in the election of domain or local browser.

And the biggest problem is that I need to add the users in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow if I want the windows users to be
able to access to share disk.
I spent all the day today to try to configure the bultin ldap server so that the Linux server could authenticate against
samba4's ldap server. But so far I have been unsuccessful: I am not able to extend the schema so I can also store Unix
information (uid, gid, home ...) in the LDAP. I tried to install ad4unix schema, but first I needed to modify quite
heavily the schema, and then I get message from the smbd process :

ldb: Unable to load modules for /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb: partition_init: initialising backend for
CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=eurocopter,DC=ru failed: schema_fsmo_init: failed to load attriute definition:
CN=msSFUNSMAP-Field-Position,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=eurocopter,DC=ru:WERR_DS_NO_MSDS_INTID

I am asking myself if someone had an idea of a ldif file that I could import in my LDAP schema in order to add support
Unix account, and I am also wondering if someone tried to do authentication against samba4's LDAP and if so can he throw
me some clues ?

Regards

Matthieu PATOU