samba4, does primaryGroupID attribute result in group membership without memberOf and member ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Mar 5 00:00:37 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 13:37 -0800, Douglas VanLeuven wrote:
> Will someone confirm they see this behavior?  Is this going to be a
> difference between samba4 and MS AD forever?  If so, I have to rewrite
> some of my perl LDAP routines.
>
> Or is it my samba4 builds?
>
> After joining the domain, computer is listed as memberOf "Domain
> Computers" but "Domain Computers" shows no members.
>
> Same is true for the domain controller and "Domain Controllers".
>
> Users have the "memberOf" attribute and groups have the "members"
> attribute even for primary group of user.
>
> Has impact on group policy during boot.

If we differ in behaviour from AD, then it's a bug.  The group
membership area is something that hasn't been the subject of great
testing, so some help here would be useful.

If you can help write up some tests to prove correct behaviour (ie
passes against AD, fails against Samba4), then that will help fix this,
and keep it fixed.

Thanks,