Samba and Application Response Measurement (ARM 4.0)

David Collier-Brown davecb at sun.com
Tue Mar 4 19:28:51 GMT 2008

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 04:34:51PM +0100, Sven Kubiak wrote:
>
>>Implementing an ARM transaction to the main code was just to see if and how
>>ARM and samba would work together. Opening a file via network and measuring
>>the reponse time seemed practical for the first step. However, we are also
>>interested in measuring authentication, print jobs and other important
>>measuring points in samba.
>

> Is just wrapping fd_open sufficient for your needs? You
> *might* also want to measure the delays introduced by oplock
> breaks and/or share mode violations.

Normal practice is to wrap a transaction, so you start the timing
when you get a fie read request, record the time of the first reply
and close the transaction when you send the end of file.  Similarly
for write, oplock break, etc.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown            | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto      | some people and astonish the rest