libsmbclient revamp - need opinions quickly

Derrell Lipman derrell.lipman at unwireduniverse.com
Mon Mar 3 14:47:26 GMT 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Volker Lendecke
<Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:14:05AM -0500, Derrell Lipman wrote:
>  > 1. Removal of smbmount.  KDE calls smbmount instead of calling mount.
>  > IIRC, the comment says something about mount not being allowed by
>  > non-root users but smbmount with SUID bit set can be.  KDE, one of the
>  > big libsmbclient users, therefore is going to have to make some much
>  > more significant changes due to that change than they would for the
>  > libsmbclient API.
>
>  From
>  http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/suse-linux-help/113801-samba-suse-10-3-a.html
>  and
>  http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-list/2007-April/msg00067.html
>  I get that KDE should not work on OpenSUSE 10.2 and RHEL5
>  anymore, because they do not ship smbfs anymore. In
>  particular I can't believe that OpenSUSE does not ship KDE
>  anymore.

Ok, it's possible that there is a Ubuntu patch that uses smbmount.  I
downloaded the Ubuntu source package to view.  Here's the comment from
kio_smb_mount.cpp:

         // using smbmount instead of "mount -t smbfs", because mount
does not allow a non-root
         // user to do a mount, but a suid smbmnt does allow this

>  > 2. smb.conf parameter change: hidden -> admin shares (or something
>  > like that).  This change will not only cause the distros to make
>  > changes, it will cause many of the (millions? of) Samba users
>  > themselves to make changes.
>
>  The parameter "hidden" was in the 3-2-test tree for exactly
>  6 days, between Feb 22, 2008 and Feb 28, 2008. If there ara
>  any distros with the parameter "hidden" being active and
>  shipped to millions of users, I would like to know it.
>  Ballmer would be very envious about the spread rate in 6
>  days, this does MUCH better than Vista :-)

LOL.  Ok.  I didn't know that "hidden" had just been inserted.  Point
taken and conceded.

Derrell