Find Applied GPOs with RSOP.msc

nathanieljp nathanieljp at msn.com
Sun Mar 2 13:07:02 GMT 2008

Have you tried running RSOP? If not, on the WinXP machine simply type
"rsop.msc" into "Start Menu"->"Run".  This will open "Resultant Set of
Policy" which will show you the Group Policy settings that have been applied
to the machine and user.  It should also tell you any problems/errors that
it found when processing the GPOs.

On Win2000 I don't think RSOP.msc existed, instead you will have to use
gpresult.  Open up "Start Menu"->"Run"->"cmd.exe" then type "gpresult.exe".
This should do the same as rsop but in text format inside cmd.  If
"gpresult.exe" is not installed, you should be able to obtain it from the
Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit.

If you prefer "gpresult.exe" to rsop.msc it should also work in WinXP.

Hope this helps,
Nathaniel JP