Reviewing b58e4f6b3d7329....

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Jun 30 16:30:33 GMT 2008

Karolin Seeger wrote:
> Jerry,
>
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 09:31:01AM -0400, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>>
>> Karolin,
>>
>> I'm not sure this is correct.
>>
>>   commit b58e4f6b3d73294d8448c0dff4341183c52e5b7c
>>   Author: Karolin Seeger <kseeger at samba.org>
>>   Date:   Mon Jun 16 15:21:28 2008 +0200
>> Would you provide an exampole of what bug is it suposed to fix?
>> Thanks.
>
> The problem was that sid_to_name requests were returning inconsistent values.
> During name_to_sid requests, a reverse caching entry was added to the
> Winbindd cache. Name_to_sid requests can be made for different
> combinations of lower case and upper case as it depends on the user/client.
> Following sid_to_name requests were taken out of the cache and returned the
> name in the same notation as the name was given in a sid_to_name request
> before.
>
> Example (without patch):

....snip....

> 'wbinfo -s' returns EXAMPLE\administrator although the real name is
> EXAMPLE\Administrator.
>
> The patch ensures that no reverse caching entries are created and Winbindd
> asks the DC for sid_to_name requests.

Was there a functional bug here?  The report is academic IMO.  So
we've traded have of the cache benefit for ensuring that
Sid2name returns proper case.  but smbd looks at names in case
insenstive fashion and the NSS calls are normalized to lower
case.

> Please inform me as soon as possible if this patch should be removed
> before we ship the final release.

Unless there is a functional bug here, I would like to revert it.

cheers, jerry