Using system libtdb in Samba4

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Fri Jun 27 18:00:52 GMT 2008

simo schrieb:
> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 16:47 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
>> here's the branch, we build everything static without .a files,
>> using MERGED_OBJ instead of STATIC_LIBRARY in the build system.
>>
>> http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=v4-0-merged-obj
>>
>> I need to clean this up a bit more, but it passes make quicktest.
>
> This is certainly a way to "fix" the problem, but why you didn't simply
> allow weak symbols in the .so modules and let glibc do the linking at
> runtime ?

The problem is that ldbedit will not have the required symbols to load
the sam.ldb related modules, that would only work.

And until we've all the required symbols in a library, having everything
staticly liked is much easier.

The long term goal should be to support both, but then we need shared
libraries and shared modules, at least for samdb related ldb modules.

metze