Samba 4 alpha 4: LDAP Authentication and Users

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 27 06:39:04 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 15:40 -0700, Jason Brittain wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm running Samba 4 alpha 4 on Fedora.  I followed the Samba4 howto
> and it runs, but I cannot authenticate against it.
> I added a user by running the ./setup/newuser script to add a couple
> of shell account users, and then I'm trying to
> use an ldap client to authenticate.  Connecting anonymously works
> fine, and I can browse the data fine.  But, I cannot
> authenticate as any user.
>
> The client's I'm using are (currently) the Apache Directory Studio,
> and a win32-only client named LDAP Admin.  In
> Apache Directory Studio, the authentication dialog lets me
> authenticate with a "Bind DN or user" and a "Bind password".
> If I provisioned the server exactly as the howto showed, what would I
> put for the Bind DN or user field?  I'd be happy
> to use or try a different client but I have a feeling that's not the problem.

cn=administrator,cn=users,dc=your,dc=realm or even
administrator at YOUR.REALM (but your client may impose a client-side
restriction preventing using this Microsoft extension).

One client that we know works is phpLDAPadmin (runs as php scripts on
your samba server), and we generate a configuration file for it as part
of our provision.

> What I'm trying to do is log in as an administrator so that I can add
> group(s) and user(s).
>
> Thanks, and great work!

Let me know how you go.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/