ldap user/machine suffix

Mon Jun 23 22:31:26 GMT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 04:56:04PM -0500, John H Terpstra wrote:
> 2) Stipulations by regulatory supervisors is pushing Samba deployment towards
> Active Directory.
>
> In every case the topology required by the regulatory supervisors can be met
> with Microsoft Active Directory, but in the case of OpenLDAP and Samba
> requires use of a single directory tree across all sites that are centrally
> administered.

This is the one thing I don't get, seriously: What is the
difference between a multi-domain AD tree/forest and an
OpenLDAP that has multiple independent subtrees? How can a
government regulation favor the specific Active Directory
Technology over something else? I would really like to see
the technical wording of this requirement and see how we can
match that with a fully standards compliant directory
server but without having to mix all accounts in one bucket.

Do you have a reference for that?

Volker