Mirror site (Samba on Power / i50s)

William Marshall bmarsh at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 18 20:55:15 GMT 2008

Per wrote on 06/17/2008 08:19:00 AM:

>  I will speak to IBM support and ask them which flavour works well,
> but just to get samba tested continously on a power based system like
> this will be really cool.

IBM support probably won't tell you one distro over the other. SLES and RH
work fine.

We have SLES 9 on hosted partitions on OS/400 (i5os) systems, but I'm not
an iSeries (power...) guy, other people in my area are System i specific.
We have SLES 10 installed on "bare metal" PPC.

So depending on what access you have to the system, you can try and run
Samba on a linux partition that is hosted from i5os. i.e. the disk and
network are virtualized by i5os. Or, you can partition (LPAR) it at a
lower level and dedicate hardware IO to the Linux partition. Then Linux
can run even when the i5os is down.

Volker does ask an intersting question. i5os (os/400) has had posix for a
long time. I doubt many people have tried to run Samba under i5os, since
there is the netserver code that provides SMB shares to Windows clients.

A quick google did find a discussion of running Samba under PASE

PASE -> With IBM® i5/OS® Portable Application Solutions Environment (i5/OS
PASE), you can port IBM AIX® applications to the IBM System i? platform
with minimal effort.

-Bill

Bill Marshall
Integrated Technology Delivery, Server Operations
Rochester PC Server Team
Building 020-2, Rochester, MN