Seeing SAMBA in embedded device from vista

Wed Jun 18 11:37:52 GMT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 01:28:51PM +0200, Rubén Lagar wrote:
> I have read everywhere that
>
> security=user
>
> is preferred by developers and recommended, but I have not found any way
> to achieve the same effect. If I use that option, Vista always is asking
> me for an username and a password, so then people who wants to use my
> device has to know those params. I have looked for a solution in google
> and in mail archives, but I have not found anything. Maybe it is a
> newbie question, but that is what I am.

Assuming your goal is a completely unsecure, fully open to
everyone server, you might try several options:

map to guest = bad password

or a little more sophisticated

username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

where /etc/samba/smbusers contains

guest = *

If you have any other goals you can right now achieve only
with security=share, please tell so.

> About what I asked first in my email, could you please help me with
> something?

We would need a debug level 10 log of Vista attempting to
access that share. And, please be aware that you should use
3.0.30 (you did not state which Samba version you're using).

> I apologize if I should not ask these type of things in this list, but I
> am really stuck and I don't know how to go forward.

No, this list is fine.

Volker