Seeing SAMBA in embedded device from vista

Rubén Lagar ruben.lagar at vanios.es
Wed Jun 18 09:40:50 GMT 2008

Hello,

I am working on a embedded linux device with an arm processor. This
devices creates a dedicated network with a generic computer with Windows
Vista.

I have succesfully built samba for it, and runned it with commands:

smbd -D
nmbd -D

My configuration file is like this:

[global]
    netbios name = MYDEVICE
    name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   server string = Samba Server
   security = share
   load printers = no
   guest account = root
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   interfaces = 1.1.1.1/24
   wins support = yes
   dns proxy = no

[public]
   path = /
   public = yes
   only guest = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no

So in Windows Vista I can see files in the device through the path
\\1.1.1.1. Also I can see my device in "My network places" as
"MYDEVICE", but when I try to access files with this path (e.g
"\\MYDEVICE\public\smb.conf") I am always getting an error "Windows can
not access \\MYDEVICE, check name and network are right".

Please, whan am I doing wrong? I have also tried with other
configurations like:

[global]
    netbios name = MYDEVICE
    remote announce = 1.1.1.2
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   server string = Samba Server
   security = share
   load printers = no
   guest account = root
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   interfaces = 1.1.1.1/24
   local master = yes
   os level = 33
   preferred master = yes
   wins support = yes
   dns proxy = no

But I cannot get it to work properly. I am stuck. Could somebody please
help me with this? Thank you!!