[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch v4-0-test updated - release-4-0-0alpha4-70-g168bb84

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 17 13:16:56 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 11:39 -0400, simo wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 22:08 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Why can't this be autogenerated?
> >
> > This, like the similar problem in the no-longer-automatic prototypes
> > for
> > param options, seems like we are missing an opportunity to just get
> > this
> > right once, rather than require manual fixups.
>
> I vote for no autogeneration, it is evil , and promotes mixing stuff
> without thinking about the prototypes, this in turns makes it more
> difficult to clearly separate our internals and our ability to split the
> code in independent libraries.

But it is better than manually maintaining prototypes in target C files.
Given both of these cases require that everything follow a common
pattern, why make errors easy?

> It is fun for small/autocontained projects, and it is ok for
> autogenerated code like the ndr stuff. But in general autogenerating
> headers leads right down the mess we are now trying to solve in
> samba3 .. the mythical libbigballofmud ...

That is a linking, not a prototype problem.  And it is certainly not the
natural result of fixing automatic prototypes for loadparm and built in
modules.