Please vote! (Re: Symbol versioning)

David Collier-Brown davecb at sun.com
Fri Jun 6 12:43:57 GMT 2008

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

>>I've done some further testing with compat libraries.
>>And they work fine, but only without symbol versioning.
>>Compat libraries together with symbol versioning works for some cases
>>and maybe there's some more magic to get it working for every case,
>>but I don't nḱnow a solution yet:-(
>>
>>I'm fine with removing symbol versioning again...
>>
>>So please vote now, what we should do.

  I'm a versioning afficianado, but I recommend that it not be used
in *production* unless a workaround is in place to get the same
results for non-gnu linkers.
  The libfoo.so.2 approach would probably suffice, so I reccomend
it for production versions of Samba until we have gnu linkers for
pretty much everything.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown            | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto      | some people and astonish the rest