Please vote! (Re: Symbol versioning)

Fri Jun 6 07:07:29 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 07:31:58PM +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> I've done some further testing with compat libraries.
> And they work fine, but only without symbol versioning.
> Compat libraries together with symbol versioning works for some cases
> and maybe there's some more magic to get it working for every case,
> but I don't nḱnow a solution yet:-(

To be honest, I tried to avoid any linker magic most of the
time, so I don't really know what benefits we might get from
symbol versioning. Your message indicates that they don't
fulfill all the benefits you had hoped for. Given that and
the fact that Jerry seems not to like the idea I would be
fine with removing it again. But this vote is not based on
my own experience, it's just from reading this thread, so
feel free to ignore me :-)

Volker