Possible null pointer refrence in v3-0-test and v3-2-test

Bo Yang boyang at novell.com
Tue Jun 3 04:04:35 GMT 2008

I first encounter the problem when using usershare configuration.

When samba is running, I use net usershare add to add a share and then modify the acl of the share.

Then I access the share from windows XP, null pointers appeared in talloc_strndup() and str_checksum(), which causes
windows XP lost connection to samba....ie, child smbd crashed.

With the patch applied, windows XP didn't lose connection any more.

I didn't look closely at the process of loading user shares.

But from the user experience, I think the patch is necessary.

Thanks!

best
       regards

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 02:21:34AM -0600, Bo Yang wrote:
>     There is possible null pointer reference in
>     talloc_strndup() and str_checksum() function.
>
>    Patch in the attachment, Please review it.
>
>    Thanks!

Patch looks correct, but -- is it necessary? I'd say that
calling those functions with NULL deserves a crash.

Volker