[SAMBA4] Task for someone interested in the LDAP backend

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jul 31 08:21:59 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 10:15 +0200, Oliver Liebel wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett schrieb:

> >> imo the best beginning would be, if i first work out a step-by-step-setup
> >> for a complete samba-specific mmr-setup with 2 dcs
> >> for all contexts (configuration,user,schema + working).
> >> so we can see, what points are missing or needs to be modified, and
> >> what commands/options are needed for the provisioning scripts on both
> >> dcs. okay?
> >>

> > As long as it reproducible.
> >
> that should be of course the primary goal: as i said - a step-by-step-setup,
> e.g.:
> backend-provisioning of dc1 (with syncrepl/mmr-modified slapd.conf)
> start slapd on dc1
> provisioning of dc1
> backend-provisioning of dc2
> start slapd on dc2 (with syncrepl/mmr-modified slapd.conf)
> initial content load from dc1
> etc...
>

> >> if its all right for you, i would leave the part of modifiying the
> >> provisioning system in your hands.
> >>

> > The problem with that the 'reproducible' part is exactly what the
> > provision and test scripts are best at.  I developed this infrastructure
> > because I could not otherwise reproduce the LDAP backend.  I always
> > missed a (different) critical step.
> >
> sorry, i dont get the point...

The provision scripts exist to avoid having lists of 'do xxx on dc1'
etc.  By integrating your changes into the provision scripts (it is just
python and templates, don't be afraid!), it becomes much more useful
than a list of steps.  I have learnt this by bitter experience.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.