dealing with chain loops in TDB

Fri Jul 25 10:35:27 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 08:37:51AM -0700, James Peach wrote:
> The problem I have with #3 is that I don't think it's reasonable to
> expect admins to be able to fix TDBs. Blowing away a whole TDB risks
> losing data that you care about. Maybe an option in tdbtool that
> removes the whole hash chain when it has a loop?

Essentially what you want is fsck on tdbs. Removing a
particular hash chain might destroy other stuff as well, as
you don't really know where the broken pointers lead you.
The most sane option from my point of view is to add a
recovery mode to tdbbackup that creates a new tdb containing
all records it can retrieve from the corrupt one. tdbbackup
should be written in some robust way then.

Volker