Release Planning 3.2/3.3

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Fri Jul 25 06:39:32 GMT 2008

Quoting Karolin Seeger (ks at sernet.de):

> Last but not least, I would like to thank everyone who helped getting
> out Samba 3.2.0! :-)

As all other people reading this mailing list, I think I need to thank
*you* for getting this 3.2.0 out.

While I'm at it, let's unveil what should be real in a few days: Samba
3.2.0 *will* be in the next Debian release, codename lenny (and, as a
direct consequence, in next Ubuntu, whatever funky name they give to it).

After the initial work done during last months on -pre and -rc
versions in Debian experimental, 3.2.0 was first uploaded to Debian
experimental , *then finally* to Debian unstable as of Sunday July
20th. Great work lead by Steve Langasek.

It was re-uploaded on July 22nd for a file location problem
(secrets.tdb wrongly placed) and it is now waiting for the normal 10
days delay to enter Debian "testing", ie the future Debian lenny
release.

I'll try to make some "official" announcement in the users mailing
list but will be on holidays, then at the Debian Conference so that
will make it less easy to do.

These uploads were just in time as Debian will freeze the entire
archive any time soon, making new upstream releases much less easy to
get accepted.

As of 3.2.1, we'll see if we can convince our beloved release managers
(those in Debian) to get a freeze exception. Logically, we shouldn't
get one, but I have the former Debian release manager (Steve) with
me...:-)

And, anyway, back to the initial topic: all this has been possible
because of the great release management of Samba in last years: first
Jerry, then Karolin. The Samba Team is maybe a small team but it is a
very efficient one and this has to be said. Hats off and ++beer for
next SambaXP.