3.0.30: Race in reply.c: unlink_internals()

Sergey Kleyman Sergey.Kleyman at exanet.com
Thu Jul 24 14:27:28 GMT 2008

I've found a possible race in the reply.c: unlink_internals() in the
following lines:

		status = can_delete(conn,directory,dirtype,can_defer);
		if (!NT_STATUS_IS_OK(status)) {
			return status;
		}

		if (SMB_VFS_UNLINK(conn,directory) == 0) {

Since can_delete() is basically open file, check access and then close
file so after close() another Samba process may delete the file and
create a new one with the same name and then SMB_VFS_UNLINK will delete
the new file and not the one we've checked in can_delete(). It seems to
be a breach in security.

I have an idea as to how to fix it. Instead of close file and then
unlink Samba should set DELETE ON CLOSE flag in open in can_delete and
then unlink is unnecessary because the file will be deleted on close in
can_delete.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.