patch to not overwrite wb- logfile names on reload

William Marshall bmarsh at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 23 22:43:31 GMT 2008

samba-technical-bounces+bmarsh=us.ibm.com at lists.samba.org wrote on
07/17/2008 09:59:04 PM:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 07:40:48PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 03:55:08PM -0400, Jim McDonough wrote:
> > > Here's the real one...
> >
> > Uses Samba 3.0.x pathnames (nsswitch/*.c) instead
> > of Samba 3.2/3.3 names (winbindd/*.c). Can you
> > port to 3.x please and then I'll apply (LGTM).

The other thing we noticed while testing in this area is that the winbind
parent will follow the log file parm in the smb.conf, but the children do
not.

If you set log file = /tmp/log.%m, log.winbind will go into /tmp and (on a
SLES build) the wb-files are still in /var/log/samba.

If you use winbindd -l /tmp, lsof shows all the processes are writing to
/tmp/log.winbindd. There are no wb-files.

Bill Marshall