wbinfo -m output format and domain login via gdm

chaddow chaddow at scotty-enterprizes.com
Sat Jul 19 20:42:02 GMT 2008

I've run into an issue on SLES 10 SP2 when trying to login to a Windows Sever
2008 Active Directory. I've successfully joined the domain and can execute
wbinfo and get details of the users etc. The problem occurs when I try and
login to the domain from the gdm login screen. When I enter the login name
and select the domain and enter the password, the login gets rejected.

After some investigating I found that the domain names in the domain name
login box contained trailing spaces and that this was causing the login to
fail (if you deleted the training spaces in the entries in the list box the
login worked).

Now I understand that gdm uses wbinfo -m to populate the domain list box
(please correct me if I'm wrong I'm fairly new to this), so I had a look at
the output from wbinfo -m and it appears that this outputs the domain names
padded out to 16 characters in length with training spaces. This is using
SAMBA 3.2.0-1.24.123.

I did some checking on an older installation (SAMBA 3.0.24-2.23.1296) and in
this case the output of wbinfo -m does not contain the training spaces.

So the question is has the format of the output from wbinfo -m really
changed and if so has this broken the gdm domian list initialisation ? or am
I doing/overlooking something really stupid ?

Many thanks for any help you can give me and I'll be happy to provide any
further information that you require.

Cheers for now