File ctime/mtime update inconsistencies

Atte Peltomaki atte.peltomaki at f-secure.com
Thu Jul 10 09:40:34 GMT 2008

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 01:16:51PM +0300, Atte Peltomaki wrote:
> Problem: neither ctime nor mtime attributes are consistently updated
> when new files are created or existing ones replaced.

Another thing I would like to address is timestamps for large files. In
addition to consistently updating c/mtime, I think it would make sense
to update the stamp also *after* file transfer has completed. This would
allow eg. rsync to identify changed files without expensive
checksumming.

Would these changes be accepted in mainstream, if I send patches?
(Against 3.2).

--
 \   ______//     Atte Peltomäki - atte.peltomaki at f-secure.com
  \  \\____        UNIX System Administrator - IT Server Team
   \   __//    F-Secure Corp. PL 24, FIN-00181 Helsinki, Finland
    \  \\     Tel: +358 9 2520 0700,     direct: +358 9 2520 5423
     \ //                   http://www.f-secure.com
      \/         Integrated Solutions for Enterprise Security