How to process schemaUpdateNow ldap request

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 1 06:54:15 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 17:41 +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Anatoliy Atanasov wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to make schema cache in dsdb_schema to reload with newly added mappings from ldb.
> > This is done by the following ldap request which is valid command for Win2003
> >
> > dn:
> > changetype: modify
> > add: schemaUpdateNow
> > schemaUpdateNow: 1
> >
> > I want to process this in rootdse module .modify function, but it's never called and the return message says:
> >
> >> ldap_modify_ext: Invalid DN syntax (34)
> >>        additional info: Invalid DN (1 components needed for 'dn')
>
> FWIW your DN line in your e-mail above is "dn:". Maybe try it with
> "dn: " instead. The space is part of the separator between attribute
> type and attribute value.
>
> See declaration of dn-spec and FILL in RFC 2849.

nah, this error occours well past the ldif parsing layer - it's actually
a problem on the server.

If you look at ldap_server/ldap_backend.c, the macro VALID_DN_SYNTAX
takes two argument, the first being the DN, and the second is the number
of components it must have.  Set that to 0 and you should be right.

I don't see why this layer should be trying to determine if a DN is
valid (ldb can do that very well itself).  This looks like Simo's code,
according to 'git blame', so I'll flip-pass this question to him...

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.