[2.6 patch] remove smbfs

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 01:30:55 GMT 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 7:13 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 02:47:17 +0200
I am not convinced that this (mounting to older servers) would be a
problem with the proper mount options but it is more intuitive for
smbfs for some of the lanman servers.   I do want to make sure that we
don't make it too easy to mount with insecure lanman (ie due to
downgrade attacks) without the user at least doing that (specify weak
lanman security explicitly).  Today the user has to explicitly specify
sec=lanman which is confusing but at least makes explicit the weaker
security.

There are four common issues with mounting to these very old servers:
1) remembering to mount specifying lanman security (sec=lanman)
2) remembering to specify the netbios name of the server on mount
(which is often not be the same as its tcp name) - we can make this
easier in mount.cifs though
3) some missing function (mostly relating to converting unix time to
DOS time for set time functions, although the other way around works)
4) working around various server bugs (a surprising number of these)

--
Thanks,

Steve