PROPOSAL: extend UNIX_INFO2 to mark existence of ACLs

James Peach jpeach at apple.com
Tue Jan 22 22:07:42 GMT 2008

On Jan 22, 2008, at 1:46 PM, Shirish Pargaonkar wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2008 3:32 PM, James Peach <jpeach at apple.com> wrote:

>>> Do you mean POSIX ACL or NT ACL?
>>> For the case of an NT ACL, how would you distinguish between the
>>> case in which the file has an emulated ACL and a "real" ACL?  If you
>>> query the NT ACL eg. with smbcacls, Samba will report one, even on
>>> files which do not have an ACL.
>>>

>> You might be able to tell that I haven't thought this through very
>> thoroughly yet :)
>>
>> But I think that I agree with Simo that the server should only set
>> the
>> bit for a "real" ACL, ie. it should not set the bit for files whose
>> only ACL is fabricated from the POSIX permissions bits.
>>

> Could someone please explain what are   few round-trips   to the
> server

to get the security descriptor (or UNIX ACL), you need to do
	open
	trans2
	close

> and what is an emulated ACL?

when server creates an NT ACL that is not stored on disk, but is
created by examining the POSIX permissions, ie. it generally would
only be able to represent ACEs for the owner, the group and the
Everybody group (which approximates other)