Samba 4 and Global Catalog

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jan 21 21:12:53 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 14:07 +0200, Nadezhda Ivanova wrote:
> Hi all,
> Does anybody know if Samba 4 can already function as Global Catalog Server,
> and if not, is there work being done to implement this? Also, does the Samba
> 4 LDAP server support ANR?

Yes, we listen on the global catalog port - currently the database is
identical - ie, all attributes are present.

And yes, we do support Ambiguous Name Resolution, where a search for
anr=foo expands into a much more complex search.  This is used from some
search dialogs in outlook (it is an exchange feature originally) and in
the management tools.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.