slow file browsing with MS Office - reply_spnego_kerberos(250)

chris23 christoph.klein at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Jan 21 13:54:17 GMT 2008

Hi,

We had a similar problem at our department. Our samba based file server was
integrated in the AD but the winbindd had a *special* configuration: On the
server itself a sid<->uid mapping was only avaiable for the regular  users,
not for the computer accounts. At the beginning this seemed to work, but
from time to time the machine was very slow too.
We had similar errors in our log file. It seems like the client computers
try to log in with their own computer account to the share. But as there was
no uid mapping the login request was rejected. These login attempts happened
quite often and it seemed that access from the clients was halted during
these attempts.
We solved this problem with a username mapping script, which mapped all
computer accounts to nobody.

Christoph