round 1: ndr on top of trans2

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jan 21 00:26:09 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 13:30 +0000, Amin Azez wrote:
> I should also mention I need async calls, and that custom notifications
> will likely come in useful.
>
> I'm doing NDR over trans2 because I'm hoping that the rpc over trans2
> problems are not actually trans2 problems.

DCE/RPC over SMB can be async in principal, but this has not been fixed
up in Samba4's implementation.  Of course, you could do this over TCP
directly.

DCE/RPC doesn't, to my knowledge, do server->client notifications very
well, but I'm not sure trans2 is much better...

Even SMB signing has to make a special case for oplock breaks, the only
'normal' packet that is initiated server->client.

You could of course have an 'listen' operation, initiated from the
client, that the server may respond indefinitely to, without breaking
those semantics.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.