slow file browsing with MS Office - reply_spnego_kerberos(250)

James Peach jorgar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 19:53:34 GMT 2008

On 18/01/2008, Wolfgang.968 <wstahn at proderm.de> wrote:

> I have a weird issue with Samba 3.0.10 on an MAC OS X Server 10.3.9 with AD
> integration:
>
> When accessing shares on the server from a Windows XP PC with explorer and
> browse thru the folders, all works fine.
>
> If i try the same using the FileOpen dialog from within MS Office (Word,
> Excel), the browsing (changing of folders up and down) is extremely slow.
> Browsing this way, the Samba log on the server shows me lots of error
> message of the form:
>
> reply_spnego_kerberos(250) Username DOMAIN/COMPUTERNAME$ is invalid on this
> system

This is almost certainly because there is no Computer record in Open
Directory named "DOMAIN/COMPUTERNAME$". Open up Workgroup Manager and
find the computer record that corresponds to the XP system. Add
"DOMAIN/COMPUTERNAME$" as an alias for this.

You might also have to mess with service ACLs if you are using them.

James Peach | jorgar at gmail.com