Get Samba version or capability information from Windows

Corinna Vinschen corinna at vinschen.de
Fri Jan 18 15:18:33 GMT 2008

On Jan 18 16:12, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 09:04:09AM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> > Vendors are asked to moify the Vendor tag suffix in the
> > VERSION file.  So smbd -V should tell you if you have upstream
> > or if you have a vendor version.  If not, then we need to
> > push back at the vendor in question.
> >
> > I could put the tag hash in the release notes but I doubt it
> > is really all that helpful since in order to make any use of it
> > you have to know how to use git.  And at that point, you really
> > just want the tag name anyways.
> >
> > Hope I understood the question.
>
> The discussion was about how to encode the specific Samba
> version in the SMB_FS_OBJECTID_INFORMATION qfsinfo reply
> that we give. The point is that this information is
> available in Win32 user space, Cygwin apparently could make
> very good use of it to work around specific Samba
> bugs/features/etc. Dave CB suggested to add 64 bits of the
> git commit into the reply which would make the reply very
> specific. I'm just the moderator here, Corrina seems to like

s/rrin/rinn/

> this idea.

Oops, no, not really.  If you think it's useful, it's defintely fine
with me, but afaics, I could live without this detail.  I don't think
it's really a big loss if the support of intermediate (non-officially
released) versions is a bit bumpy...

> this idea. My personal opinion is that the version string
> would be enough, but if there is an easy way to get the git
> commit id into that reply, I'd not block that.

ACK.  I guess it would be a good start if I implement this with just the
version number and string, and leave git commit tag support for some
later date.

Corinna