A winbindd architecture question for the winbindd gurus out there...

Tim Prouty tim.prouty at isilon.com
Fri Jan 18 01:15:54 GMT 2008

It was a bug in our code that doesn't exist in samba mainline.  Our
logic in rescan_trusted_domains() was broken such that it would rescan
100 times every 5 minutes instead of once (ouch!).   Combine that with
some unreachable DCs, and this bug was causing us to flood the the
winbindd children such that the requests queue on the parent filled up
faster than the child could empty it.  Running in this state for any
length of time caused the parent process to reach the max process size
and subsequently core dump.  In a sense, it wasn't a memory leak,
since all of the memory was still accounted for, but it was still ugly.

Thanks again for your help in understanding the winbindd code!

-Tim

On Jan 16, 2008, at 5:34 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 05:30:11PM -0800, Tim Prouty wrote:
>> That makes sense.  Thanks Jeremy!
>
> So what is causing your memleak ?

Tim Prouty | Software Development Engineer
Isilon Systems    P +1-206-315-7500     F  +1-206-315-7485
www.isilon.com    D +1-206-315-7494    M +1-206-963-5747