Get Samba version or capability information from Windows

Corinna Vinschen corinna at vinschen.de
Thu Jan 17 17:35:26 GMT 2008

On Jan 17 18:03, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 05:50:38PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Looking for potential solutions, I came across the SMB_FS_OBJECTID_INFORMATION
> > (FILE_FS_OBJECTID_INFORMATION in NT user land) information class.  This
> > information class doesn't only transport the object id of the file
> > system, but also 48 bytes of "extended information".  Would these 48 bytes
> > a possible way to give..., well, extended information about Samba to
> > the Windows user space?
>
> We're returning 0 here, don't we? We might encode the git
> hash of the Samba release tree :-)

That might be a teeny little bit too detailed ;)

I thought about something like a well-defined structure, along these lines:

  struct smb_extra_info
  {
    uint32_t magic_number;	/* "SmBa" or something */
    uint8_t  samba_version[4];  /* { 3, 2, 0, 'a' } */
    uint32_t feature_flags;
    uint32_t bugfix_flags;
    [...]
  };