[S3] work on registry and registry configuration

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Thu Jan 17 14:35:18 GMT 2008

Hi,

Yesterday, I have added the new parameter "config backend" to
smb.conf. It defaults to "file" and can have as single other
value "registry". If "config backend = registry" is found in
smb.conf, all other option from that file are ignored and
the registry based configuration is activated.

This replaces the former special semantics of "include = registry"
which is removed now: It made messy mixed configurations possible.

Lately, I have been putting efforts in separating the logic
out from the "net conf" utility (the interface to registry
based configuration) into a module libnet_conf.c. This is now
mostly completed and the first API is about to be fixed.

Here are my plans about my ongoing and near future work:

* I want to make libnet_conf into a shared library to allow
  for easy building of GUIs to samba configuration.

* I want to add remote support (via winreg rpc) to libnet_conf.

* For this, I want to create a registry library (e.g. libnet_registry)
  that more or less abstracts logic from "net rpc registry" and
  provides a uniform interface to local (reg_api.c) and remote
  (net rpc registry) registry access.

* In order to build libraries and smaller binaries, I have started
  restructuring the local registry code.
  - reg_api should be the interface to registry used throughout samba.
  - reg_api will is made more complete with regard to implementing
    winreg.idl functions.
  - The "reg_frontend" code will be hidden from the surface and become
    what it actually is: a backend dispatcher. I already started replacing
    reg_frontend code by code that uses reg_api.
  - Linker dependencies will be reduced and untangled by making the
    hooking of backends onto keys more configurable and more modular.
  - I have the plan to implement the reg_dynamic functions as full
    backends of their own, configurably hooked onto keys like the
    other backends. Thus the linker dependencies of the backend dispatcher
    will be reduced even more.

Cheers, Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9