rpc-lite

Amin Azez azez at ufomechanic.net
Thu Jan 17 11:53:12 GMT 2008

I'm calling what I'm doing rpc-lite, which is using the NDR functions to
construct SMB packets at the smb-op level.

it involves abusing some nrd code which may utimatly involves some very
small but wide-reaching changes to make the use of smbcli_request (and
->output) more inter-changable with the use of ndr_push.

rpc-lite will have the top level ndr_push for an rpc (e.g.
ndr_push_proxy_Read) be able to push onto an established "struct
smbcli_request*" (and it's member: struct request_buffer *out)

struct ndr_push is functionally similar to struct smbcli_request (
combined with its out member)

request_buffer->ptr serves the same function as ndr_push->offset

The NDR is resized using ndr.c/ndr_push_expand(ndr_request, increment)
The request_buffer is grown using:
smbcli_req_grow_allocation(smbcli_request, newsize)

The abusing method would be to have a new ndr_push_init_smbcli_ctx()
method which set up:

ndr_push->data = req->out.buffer;
and ndr_push->offset = PTRDIFF(req->out.data,req->out.buffer);
and ndr_push->alloc_size = req->out.allocated;

so that pushing would occur on the data portion of the smbcli_request.

Thus, when ndr_push_expand is called, the talloc_realloc is safe as it
occurs on an original talloc'd buffer.

After the push is compete, the smbcli_request could be mended fixed up thus:
if (ndr->data != req->out.buffer) {
    /* re-alloc occured */
    req->out.allocated = ndr->alloc_size;

    /* update the pointers into the packet */
    req->out.data = ndr->data + PTR_DIFF(req->out.data, req->out.buffer);
    req->out.ptr  = ndr->data + PTR_DIFF(req->out.ptr,  req->out.buffer);
    req->out.vwv  = ndr->data + PTR_DIFF(req->out.vwv,  req->out.buffer);
    req->out.hdr  = ndr->data + PTR_DIFF(req->out.hdr,  req->out.buffer);

    req->out.buffer = ndr->data;
}

Now this is a total abuse of ndr expectations, but I think that it is
safe, and will avoid the need to copy buffers.
Maybe all we need to do is change expectations?

This is the angle I am working on right now, I welcome any comments.

Sam