PATCH samba cache and read-ahead

Amin Azez azez at ufomechanic.net
Fri Jan 11 15:53:19 GMT 2008

* Jelmer Vernooij wrote, On 11/01/08 15:47:

> You can open back a connection from the server to the client, but I'm
> not sure if we would want to go there :-) Why would you need
> notifications?

Cache revalidation works better in a streaming mode as it helps keep the
TCP window full.
It's better for the server to keep sending until the client tells it to
stop, than the client to keep requesting more; especially as the client
doesn't know how well the response will compress. Cache revalidation can
have compression ratios of >1000:1, so the client doesn't even know how
much to ask for.

Sam