PATCH samba cache and read-ahead

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Jan 11 15:08:30 GMT 2008

Hi Amin,

Am Freitag, den 11.01.2008, 14:46 +0000 schrieb Amin Azez:
> * Volker Lendecke wrote, On 04/01/08 13:38:

> >> This sounds brillig. Do you have any URLs handy with practical tips, or
> >> any names of suitable existing named pipes for which I can examine the
> >> related source for tips?
> >>
> > Not really, sorry. You might look at the rpc-echo pipe and
> > its implementation.
> >
> I've managed to work out that I need a populated and valid
>  struct dcerpc_pipe *p
> but there's a lot of different functions for opening rpc connections to
> choose from, and I'm not able to prefer one over another.
>
> I guess the proxy backend will open an rpc pipe for every tree_connect
> that occurs, and use the pipe for proxy specific transfers.
>
> This suggests to me that the users credentials can be used when opening
> the rpc pipe, although I'm not sure if it is any better that using the
> machine credentials, as I will be recovering and passing the clients tid
> in the context of any rpc calls anyway.
You can either specify user credentials or machine credentials. See also
cli_credentials_set_machine().

> Please could you advise me on the different rpc pipe open calls. I will
> want to be doing syncronous and asyncronous calls in both directions?
Basically, if you need to connect synchronously, use
dcerpc_pipe_connect() and use
dcerpc_pipe_connect_send()/dcerpc_pipe_connect_recv() when you need to
connect asynchronously. There is also dcerpc_pipe_connect_b() (and
matching async functions) which allows you to specify a binding struct
rather than a binding string.

Cheers,

Jelmer

Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org