Donating some cycles to the build farm

Neal A. Lucier nlucier at math.purdue.edu
Wed Jan 9 22:21:37 GMT 2008

Michael Adam wrote:
> Neal A. Lucier wrote:
>
> I think a Solaris 11 would be interesting.
> OpenSolaris too.
> Preferably with the native solaris cc compiler.
> SPARC platform as well as Intel.

By Solaris 11 I mean OpenSolaris, it return 5.11 in uname now.  Sun's cc is free
now, and Solaris 10 & 11 ship with a gcc.  I don't have an explicitly spare x86
box at this time.  Though if Solaris 10/x86[-64] or OpenSolaris/x86[-64] are
wanted hosts, we cycle through enough gear that some should be available soon.

> I would like to have a Solaris box with a zfs file system building
> the zfs acl module.

I have ~30 UltraSPARC II boxes, Sun Blade 100, sitting on a shelf waiting for me
to fill out the form to send them to salvage, with another ~30 being thrown out
in the next month or two.

If you wanted some distcc hosts as well as a test ctdb environment I have more
than enough spare equipment sitting around to host this.  Adding an additional
IDE drive dedicated to ZFS would also be very doable.

>>I could provide Solaris 8/9/10/11 and Ubuntu on SPARC.
>
> Linux on SPARC is also interesting, isn't it?

I think so.  The last time I ran Linux on SPARC was in 1997 on an IPX and it
would kernel panic after a non-gui login and 30 minutes of a client telnet session.

It seems that OpenSolaris/SPARC and Ubuntu/SPARC would be of interest in the
build farm.  If someone explicitly says "yes, we want X in the build farm", then
I can start setting up the machines.

Neal