Donating some cycles to the build farm

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jan 9 21:27:40 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 10:21 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 12:45:44PM -0500, Scott Lovenberg wrote:
> > Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > >
> > >Well, we have plenty of cycles. If you have an exotic
> > >platform, then it would be very interesting. But there are
> > >already quite a few Linux boxes in the build farm, so the
> > >additional value of one more is not too big.
> > >
> > >Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your offer, but for the
> > >build farm we're mostly interested in platforms we don't yet
> > >have.
> > >
> > >What's the platform you can offer?
> > >
> > >Volker
> >
> > Well, if you want exotic, I've got a somewhat recent copy of Plan9 in my
> > archive somewhere ;).  Well, it's a livecd, and I've never booted it -
> > but it's still in my possession and I'm gonna' boot the thing after I
> > complete my "languages I have to try at least once before I die... so
> > that I can feel justified for every time someone told me about them and
> > I told them a thing or two about Real Programmers!"
>
> Plan9 and the Hurd would be interesting build farm targets, but to be
> honest I'm not sure how much time we'd devote to fixing build issues
> :-).

Over the time since the build farm started in 2001, the landscape
certainly has changed.  Exotic but used has generally been a reasonable
guideline, but as time has gone on, the proprietary Operating System
world has changed drastically...

As Jeremy loves to say 'Linux is the new POSIX'...

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.